QUAKERS - SELLERS
Lu Juana Lipscomb [email@example.com]
The attachment is from Heritage Books Archives Quaker Marriage
by Gwen Boyer Bjorkman, 1991, CD-ROM. As I understood her preface, the
underlined names are witnesses and the third column was for bride, groom, parents, and family.
"Quaker Marriage Certificates:
Pasquotank, Perquimans, Piney Woods, and Sutton Creek Monthly Meetings, NC, 1677-1800 (1988)
& Concord MM, Delaware Co. PA, 1679-1808 (1991)
& New Garden MM, Chester Co., PA 1704-1799 (1990)
CONCORD MONTHLY MEETING 1766 (need to recopy)
From: Lu Juana Cartwright Lipscomb [mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org]
THERE IS A MAP WITH ALL THESE PLACES LISTED.
Ashmead's "History of Delaware County" Homepage, page 532
Upper Darby Township.
Settled as it was by members of the society of Friends, its early history lacks much in those sterling incidents which other localities, even in Delaware County, present; but the rural population in Upper Darby, by thrifty and careful husbandry, soon made that section of the county very productive and its inhabitants comparatively wealthy. At the southwestern limit of the township was a tract of one hundred and fifty acres, to which the name "Primos" was given on July 12, 1683, and was surveyed to John Blunston, which subsequently, June 6, 1688, became the property of Thomas Hood, who emigrated from Breason, County Derby, England. In 1692 fifty acres of this plantation was conveyed to John Hood, doubtless the son of John Hood, Sr., who settled in Darby in 1683, immediately above the Blunston tract. On July 12, 1683, one hundred and fifty acres of land was surveyed to Joseph Potter, on which estate the present railroad station, at Oak Lane, is located. The property subsequently was conveyed to John Hallowell, who emigrated from Nottinghamshire, England, in 1683, and who had settled, it is believed, on this land, which, as his means permitted, he purchased in fifty-acre lots at various dates. To Thomas Whitbie, on July 12,1683, the estate known as "Lebion" was surveyed. He appears never to have resided thereon, but on July 22, 1687, it was conveyed to John Roads, and on this tract Clifton Station is now located. To the northward of "Lebion" was a tract of one hundred and fifty acres, which, on July 12, 1683, was surveyed to Edward Cartledge. This tract extended from the western line of the township to Darby Creek on the east. He emigrated from Derbyshire, England, in 1683, and before he came he had purchased lands from William Penn. He was a man far advanced in life when he came to the province, for he was eighty-four years old, in 1703, when he died. Immediately above the Cartledge land, on a tract through which at the present time runs the Delaware County turnpike from Darby Creek, at Kellyville, westward almost to the township line, was a plantation of two hundred acres, which Joseph Need purchased in equal parts of one hundred acres from Thomas Brassey and Samuel Levis. There Need, who was a quiet husbandman, lived nearly half a century, dying in 1741. Above the Need tract all the remaining land lying between Darby Creek on the east and the Springfield line on the west, and extending north to the point where the township line unites with Darby Creek, on March 22, 1681, and comprising two hundred acres, was conveyed to Isaac Wheeldon, and he in turn sold it to Samuel Levis, March 13, 1695. Levis seems not to have personally settled on this tract, but part of this land is now owned by Oborn Levis, a descendant of the early settler.
At the southern part of Upper Darby, east of the creek of that name, was a tract of one hundred and fifty acres, extending to Cobb's Creek, which was surveyed to John Blunston Sept. 10,1682. The village of Fernwood is located on the one hundred acres which was purchased by Joseph Fearn, May 28, 1712. Above this tract, at a point a trifle west of Lansdowne Station, a line drawn to the New Jerusalem Church, and thence due west to the old Marker Paper-Mills, on Darby Creek, and then following the creek to the bend above the Lower Darby line, and thence due east to the post a short distance west of Lansdowne Station, was a large tract containing six hundred and fifty-five acres, surveyed to George Wood Nov. 6, 1682. This tract subsequently was divided among his descendants, and two hundred acres of the lower part were conveyed to Richard Bonsall March 1, 1697/8. On the land acquired by Bonsall, Kellyville is located. Richard Bonsall is the progenitor of the family of that name in Pennsylvania. To the east of the Wood tract four hundred and fifty acres were surveyed to William Smith Oct. 31, 1682. Ten years later this estate was sold to Anthony Morgan, who emigrated from Cardiff, Glamorganshire, Wales, in 1689, first settling on the west side of Cobb's Creek, above the present Blue Bell Inn, but in 1700 he removed to his plantation in Upper Darby, where he died in 1732, a very aged man. Morgan, shortly after he purchased the property, sold one hundred and fifty acres to John Marshall, lying along the creek at the upper end of the tract, Naylor's Run separating the latter plantation almost in halves, and as the highway, known as Marshall's road, ran almost through the entire length of his land, from that fact it took the name it now bears. This John Marshall and Sarah Smith were the first persons married in the old log meeting-house of Friends, at Darby, in 1688, mentioned in the account of that building. Prior to the purchase of this land Marshall had acquired title to sixty-four acres lying north of the Smith tract, while just above Samuel Sellers had patented one hundred acres, and the following year (1691) purchased seventy-five and one-half acres of Charles Lee, who had, in 1685, received a patent for one hundred and eighty acres extending along Cobb's Creek. Sellers must have occupied this tract several years prior to his purchase, for in 1684 he wedded Ann Gibbons, at Darby Meeting, before the meeting-house was built, and the bride rode to her home in Upper Darby on a pillion behind her husband. During the first year of their residence on this land they lived in a cave, the location of which is preserved to this day as "Cave Field," near the site of which he subsequently erected "Sellers Hall," the family homestead. The remainder of the Lee tract, one hundred acres, was conveyed to Thomas Marie, in 1686. Due west of this land, and lying along the south side of the Garrett road, extending to Darby Creek, was a tract of three hundred and three acres, surveyed to Michael Blunston, of Darby. After the latter's death it was conveyed to John Davis, as three hundred and twenty-two acres, March 25-26, 1736/7, and in May of the same year was bought by Samuel Levis. North of the Garrettford road were three
> QUAKER RECORDS
> Note: The Quakers began their year with March, not January. Therefore,
> in their records, the date (for example) 2-25-1836 is 2nd month, 25th
> day of 1836...or April 25, 1836. We do not know if this manner of keeping
> dates is still used by Quakers, or Friends, as they referred to themselves.
This is correct for dates prior to 1752 but not after and applies not
just to the Quakers.
Please read the following which is from the Quaker site
http://www.quaker.org and explains the Quaker dating system and the
pitfalls of deciphering the exact date from
various records. I have a large number of Quaker ancestors and the dates
are a nightmare. Dan
"OUR QUAKER ANCESTORS
Finding Them in Quaker Records"
by Ellen Thomas Berry & David Allen Berry
From Chapter VII "Quaker Records
and Some Possible Problems"
pg.67 and 68:
"Another pitfall for the purist can be the unique way the Quakers
dated events. They did not use names for days of the week
or months of the year since most of these names were derived from
the names of pagan gods. A date such as August 19,
1748 will never be found. Rather it would be written as "19th da
6th mo 1748." Sometimes this will be written as 6mo
19da 1748. Why 6th month since August is the 8th month? The
Quakers, along with everyone else in the American
Colonies and England, did not begin using the Gregorian calendar
until 1752. Under the Julian calendar the year began on
March 25th; March was the first month and February was the
twelfth month. This is something of a problem when an
event occurred in the months of January, February or up to March
25th, for then the date is given as 1748/1749. Such a
dating practice satisfied everyone, including civil authorities,
if for instance an inheritance was being established.
You may find that some legal documents
will read "the 8th mo 5th
day 1748 in the month called October." It is
disconcerting when a date such as 30th da 11th mo 1722/1723 is
found. The double year indicates that the old calendar was
in use. Even though the Gregorian Calendar was adopted in 1582,
as mentioned above it was 1752 before the change was
universally accepted. We are emphasizing this point here so that
if exact days, months, and years are wanted, the old
Quaker records must be used with great caution. Remember that
until 1752 "1st mo" is March.
We would like to point out also that
you may find secondary
material (genealogies are a case in point) in which the
compiler transcribed dates incorrectly - for instance. "30th da
11th mo 1738/1739" rewritten as "Nov. 30, 1738/39" when
the date in question is actually "30th January 1738/1739. The
dual year must be used until you are quite certain the locale
in question has adopted the Gregorian calendar (or until the
Quaker records no longer have the dual form or the year is after
1752). Dual dating is applicable ONLY for the first three months
(to 25 March) of the present calendar and NOT for the
other nine months. The first date given is the Julian year, the
second the Gregorian year."
Another way of finding whether the old
Quaker method of dating is
being used in any given set of records is to search back
and forth until a month such as the "2nd mo" is found and the see
if entries were made on either the 29th or 30th days, If
this was done, then you will know the old system was being used
and the month would be the present month of April
rather than February. Other months can be used. For instance, if
it is the "7th mo" and you find the "31st," you would
know the new system is being used and the month is our present
month of July rather than the Quaker September."
In other words, before 1752, 11th month
was January; 12th month
was February; 1st month was March; 2nd month was
April and so on.
1752 and after, 1st month was January,
2nd month was February,
3rd month was March...just as we number the months
When recording dates found in Quaker
records, it is preferred
practice to copy them as they are found and to record the
source. Too often, dates have been transformed incorrectly in
secondary sources and these dates should always be verified by
the original monthly meeting records.
If you are using a commercial data base
which does not permit
entry of dates which reflect the manner in which they are
found in the original records, I recommend putting only the year
in the date field. In the next field where you would
ordinarily enter the name of a city or township, enter the date
again but as it was found. This can be followed by the name
of the Monthly Meeting where the date was recorded, followed by
When you print a family group sheet or
other chart your output
may look like this:
b. 1743 2 3m 1743 New Garden MM, NC
d. 1755 3 1m 1755 Deep River MM, NC
bur. 1755 5 1m 1755 Deep River FBG, NC
b. 1745/46 4 1m 1745/6 New Garden, MM, NC.
This may seem redundant, but to the
recipient of your chart, it
will be abundantly clear that your source came from an
original church record and was not copied from the IGI or
Ancestral File which are notorious for incorrectly recording this
type of date.
KIP'S TIPS, by Kip Sperry
"Quaker Records for Genealogists"
Founded in England in 1652 by George Fox, the Religious Society of
Friends (Quakers) did not (and do not) believe in organized religion
as was practiced in the Church of England and other churches. Quakers
believed that individuals could worship God directly and that members
had an "inner light" (an inner capacity to understand God); they
rejected a formal clergy or creed.
Known for their plainness in dress, large numbers of Quakers followed
William Penn and settled in Pennsylvania. Many Quakers also settled
in Rhode Island and other New England states, but also in New Jersey,
North and South Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee, New York (especially
New York City and Long Island), Maryland, Delaware, Virginia, Ohio,
Indiana, Illinois, and elsewhere. Many Quakers also immigrated to the
Philadelphia area beginning in the 1660s to the 1680s and formed the
Philadelphia Yearly Meeting. They separated into the Orthodox and
Hicksite (followers of Elias Hicks) branches beginning in
Philadelphia in 1828.
QUAKER RECORD GROUPS
Quakers kept some of the best church records of any church in England
or America. Of particular interest to genealogists are the records of
monthly meetings (MM), at which births, marriages, and deaths were
recorded. Also important are minutes, marriage intentions, letters of
transfer, and actions regarding church members. (It is interesting to
note for genealogists that marriage certificates were often signed by
all persons present at the marriage ceremony.) One should remember
that many Quakers refused to serve in the military, so it is less
likely to find military service or pension records for them. But
Quakers did keep records of transfers and removals of individuals
from one meeting to another. Quarterly and yearly minutes of meetings
were also kept, but they are not as valuable genealogically as the
The most valuable printed source for researchers--and the first place
to begin research--is William Wade Hinshaw's "Encyclopedia of
American Quaker Genealogy" (Genealogical Publishing Co., Baltimore).
Hinshaw's reference is arranged by monthly meeting, and the work is
separately indexed. The volumes and index may be found in many large
libraries. Descriptions of Quaker meetings are included, and there
are several supplements to this multi-volume work.
Another valuable source, compiled by employees at Haverford College
Library in Haverford, Pennsylvania, is "Quaker Necrology" (G.K. Hall,
Boston). This two-volume work is an index to approximately 59,000
death notice entries taken from four major Quaker periodicals from
the necrology card index of the Quaker collection at Haverford
College Library. Many Quakers who died in America between 1828 and
1960 are recorded in this card file.
The two major repositories of Quaker records in America are:
Friends Historical Library
Swarthmore, PA 19081
Haverford College Library
Haverford, PA 19041-1392
The major repository for New England Quaker records is the Rhode
Island Historical Society in Providence. Records may also be found at
Quaker colleges in North Carolina, Ohio, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, and
elsewhere. Especially valuable are Quaker records housed at Earlham
College in Richmond, Indiana (http://www.earlham.edu).
Many Quaker records have been microfilmed by the Genealogical Society
of Utah and are available at the Family History Library in Salt Lake
City. See the Family History Library Catalog (FHLC) at
http://www.familysearch.org for details. An example of filmed records
is "Goshen Monthly Meetings, Pennsylvania, 1722-1938," which contains
births, marriages, deaths, minutes of meetings, memberships,
certificates, and miscellaneous records. Original Quaker church
records are generally not indexed. See your locality of interest
under the heading "Church Records," as well as author entries under
"Society of Friends" and "Quaker."
SELECTED INTERNET SITES
Cyndi's List: Quaker Sites
The Quaker Corner
Quaker History Archives
Quaker Resources on the Web
The Religious Society of Friends
Research Resources for Quaker Genealogy
Berry, Ellen Thomas and David A. Berry. "Our Quaker Ancestors:
Finding Them in Quaker Records." Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing
Cope, Gilbert. "Cope Manuscript Collection." Microfilm (Family
Heiss, Willard and Thomas D. Hamm. "Quaker Genealogies: A Selected
List of Books." Boston: New England Historic Genealogical Society,
McVetty, Suzanne. "Records of the Society of Friends (Quakers), New
York Yearly Meeting." 'NYG&B Newsletter' 8 (Fall 1997): 27-31.
Milligan, Edward H. and Malcolm J. Thomas. "My Ancestors Were
Quakers: How Can I Find More About Them?" London: Society of
Myers, Albert Cook. "Quaker Arrivals at Philadelphia, 1682-1750."
1902. Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1978.
Remington, Gordon L. "Quaker Preparation for the 1752 Calendar
Change." 'National Genealogical Society Quarterly' 87 (June 1999):
Remington, Gordon L. "Quaker Records for Genealogists." 1994
Genealogical Society Conference in the States, Houston, Texas, pp.
Stattler, Richard D., comp. "Guide to the Records of the Religious
Society of Friends (Quakers) in New England." Providence: Rhode
Island Historical Society, 1997.
Thomas, Allen C. and Richard H. Thomas. "A History of the Society of
Friends in America." Philadelphia: Winston & Co., 1895.
Wilds, Mary. "Finding Quaker Ancestors." 'Ancestry'
(November/December 1995): 29-31.
Worrall, Arthur J. "Quakers in the Colonial Northeast." Hanover,
N.H.: University Press of New England, 1980.
Kip Sperry, CG, AG, FASG, FNGS, FUGA, is an associate professor of
family history at Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah. He is the
author of "Abbreviations & Acronyms for the Family Historian"
(today's Product Special at:
http://shops.ancestry.com/product.asp?productid=1957), "Reading Early
American Handwriting," "Genealogical Research in Ohio," and other
Kip's Tips is a bi-weekly column at Ancestry.com
for it in the Today @ Ancestry section of the "Ancestry Daily News"
every other Tuesday. The Kip's Tips archive is at:
FAST FACT: QUAKER DATABASES AVAILABLE TO ANCESTRY.COM MEMBERS
The following databases are available to Ancestry.com Premium
Subscribers. For more information on subscribing to Ancestry.com, go
Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy, Vol. 1
Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy, Vol. 2
Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy, Vol. 3 (New York)
Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy, Vol. 4
Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy, Vol. 5
Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy, Vol. 6
Chappaqua, Westchester County, New York Quaker Records
Dutchess County, New York Quaker Records
Illinois Quaker Records
Irish Quaker Immigration into Pennsylvania
Missouri Quaker Records
Nottingham, Cecil County, Maryland Quaker Records
Pennsylvania Irish Quaker Immigrants, 1682-1750
Philadelphia Quaker Arrivals, 1682-1750
Quaker Invasion of Massachusetts
Virginia Early Quaker Records
This list of Quaker databases is also posted in the library at:
DON'T have THIS cd transcribed.
PLEASE send INFO.
I have cd on Quakers that is NOT transcribed either. But, it doesn't
list this family.
It is cd 192 and it Also lists SULLERS, etc which I believe could be ours.
From: Lu Juana Lipscomb [mailto:email@example.com]
Sent: Sunday, August 18, 2002 3:31 PM
Subject: HIT SOMETHING BY MISTAKE!!!
Marie, Do you have the CD-Rom mentioned in the previous message?
copy if you have. That was in the Concord Monthly Meeting, and there are
april 1, 2003
from ed hudson
The below described letter was signed by a Susana Seller, confirming that at
least some of the early Virginia Sellers were Quakers.
In the library of Friends' House in London, the Quaker "headquarters," there
is a letter (Box MSS/38) "From our womans meeting in the western Branch of
Nancimund River in Virginia; to the womans meetings in England, in the County
of Swarthmore, London, Bristall or else where wee ma bee received in the
House of God &c." The body of the letter is entirely religious, with nothing
about Virginia or the signers of the letter, but because of the loss of the
Nansemond records and the loss of many of the Quaker records of this period,
the names themselves are important to genealogists. Friends' House graciously
granted permission to publish the letter, in whole or in part. The following
is taken verbatim from the letter, although the religious preoration is
omitted: "This was ordered of our womans meetting in the western branch of
Nancimum in Virginia to be writen & sent to the womans meetings in England.
The 11: of the: 4: month: 1679. Francese Denson, Mary Bryan, Alice Hollowell,
Elizabeth Bellson, Elizabeth Oudeland, Katharen Denson, Susana Seller, Sarah
Denson, Susana Bresey, Margaret Taberer, Mary Crew, Gilion Weakey, Mary
Brown, Hanah Web, Elizabeth Larance, Katharen Reecks, Margret Jordan,
Elizabeth Godwin, Ellizabeth Ratclif, Hanah Body, Ellizabeth Orey, Elizabeth
Bradley, Margery Horning, Sarah Copland, Dorothy Scutchins, Elizabeth
Maciney, Alice Sarginor, Jane Cook, Mary Heintzbery, Frances Denson Junior,
Mary Pope, Mary Took, Elizabeth Mury, Elizabeth Burge, Frances Whittington,
Ruth Gladwell, Mary Laecy, Margret Coker, Ann Richards, Margret Yarratt, Anne
Macone, Sarah Campion, Margret Haris. (The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 17, No.
2, John Frederick Dorman, Editor, p. 135).